Penne with Quick Tomato Mushroom Sauce
- Servings: 6
Penne with Quick Tomato Mushroom Sauce is the perfect weeknight dinner. Simple yet flavorful, this dish will satisfy your pasta cravings.
|16 oz||San Giorgio® Penne Rigate|
|2 Tbsps||olive oil|
|1 large||onion, diced|
|8 oz||sliced fresh mushrooms|
|4||garlic cloves, minced|
|1/3 cup||dry red wine|
|1/2 cup||fresh oregano, chopped|
|1 can||(28 oz) crushed tomatoes|
|1/2 cup||fresh basil leaves, chopped|
|1/2 cup||grated Parmesan cheese|
|freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and sauté about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add mushrooms and stir for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic, and stir for another 1 to 2 minutes (do not burn garlic) or until fragrant. Add wine, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in oregano and tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- After simmering sauce, add basil at the end and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spoon sauce over cooked pasta and serve topped with Parmesan cheese.