Penne with Meat Sauce
- Servings: 6
Get ready for a hearty, satisfying meal with our Penne with Meat Sauce, featuring tender pasta and a rich, savory tomato-based meat sauce.
|8 oz||San Giorgio® Penne Rigate|
|1 lb||lean ground beef|
|1/2 cup||onion, chopped|
|1 can||(14 1/2 oz) Italian tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped|
|6 oz||tomato paste|
|1/4 cup||dry red wine|
|1/2 tsp||dried oregano leaves, crushed|
|1/4 tsp||ground black pepper|
|1/4 cup||pitted ripe olives|
|2 oz||reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese|
|salt, to taste|
|garnish with fresh basil or oregano, optional|
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. Return pasta to hot pan; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a very large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown. Drain off fat.
- In a blender or food processor, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, dried oregano, and pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Stir tomato mixture into meat mixture in skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta and olives. Cover and heat through. Add salt to taste.
- Serve topped with mozzarella cheese. Garnish with oregano leaves, if desired.